Monitoring and Adaptive Management
The Trustees presented a general monitoring and adaptive management framework in the Programmatic Restoration Plan to guide Deepwater Horizon restoration efforts. From that framework came the Monitoring and Adaptive Management Manual, which was released in January 2018, to provide guidance for monitoring needed to evaluate restoration outcomes and benefits to injured resources.
In August 2019, the Trustees released an updated Manual Appendix E with new monitoring guidelines for restoration projects for oysters and submerged aquatic vegetation, and for projects that protect and conserve habitat.
Adaptive management is a process involving fine-tuning both the restoration projects and the entire restoration program over time, based on monitoring results and improved scientific understanding. The process creates an expanding base of knowledge that supports current and future restoration decision-making and further refines which restoration approaches are most effective for different resources and environmental settings.
Monitoring and Adaptive Management Fact Sheet (PDF, 1 pg).
- E.1. - E.2. Table of Contents and Introductory Information (PDF, 6 pgs).
- E.3. Restoration Approach Core and Objective-Specific Performance Monitoring Parameters - Updated 2019 (PDF, 57 pgs)
- E.4. Create, Restore, and Enhance Coastal Wetlands: Monitoring Guidance (PDF, 5 pgs).
- E.5. Create, Restore, and Enhance Barrier and Coastal Islands and Headlands: Monitoring Guidance (PDF, 5 pgs).
- E.6. Restore and Enhance Dunes and Beaches: Monitoring Guidance (PDF, 5 pgs).
- E.7. Protect and Conserve Marine, Coastal, Estuarine, and Riparian Habitat: Monitoring Guidance - Updated 2019 (PDF, 4 pgs).
- E.8. Reduce Nutrient Loads to Coastal Watersheds & Reduce Pollution and Hydrologic Degradation to Coastal Watersheds: Monitoring Guidance (PDF, 4 pgs).
- E.9. Restore and Enhance Submerged Aquatic Vegetation: Monitoring Guidance - Updated 2019 (PDF, 5 pgs).
- E.10. Restore Oyster Reef Habitat: Monitoring Guidance - Updated 2019 (PDF, 5 pgs)
- E.11. Enhance Public Access to Natural Resources for Recreational Use: Monitoring Guidance (PDF, 4 pgs).
- E.12. Enhance Recreational Experiences: Monitoring Guidance (PDF, 4 pgs).
- E.13. Promote Environmental Stewardship, Education, and Outreach: Monitoring Guidance (PDG, 4 pgs).