Register Today: Louisiana Draft Phase 2 Restoration Plan/Environmental Assessment #7.1 to Restore Terrebonne HNC Island
The Deepwater Horizon Louisiana Trustee Implementation Group is proposing the Terrebonne Houma Navigation Canal (HNC) Island Restoration project to restore birds injured by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The project is included in a draft restoration plan, which is now open for public comment through September 26, 2022.
The Trustees will hold a public webinar on the plan on September 8 at 2:00 p.m. CT, followed by the Louisiana Trustees’ Annual Public Meeting at 2:30 p.m. CT.
The plan, Draft Phase 2 Restoration Plan/Environmental Assessment #7.1: Terrebonne HNC Island Restoration Project (PDF, 80 pages), is a continuation of Restoration Plan/Environmental Assessment #7: Wetlands, Coastal, and Nearshore Habitats, and Birds. That plan selected the Terrebonne HNC Island Restoration Project for engineering and design funding under the Birds Restoration Type. This Phase 2 Plan evaluates a reasonable range of design alternatives to expand the Terrebonne HNC Island.
The preferred alternative, design alternative 7A, is proposed for construction with an estimated total cost of approximately $34 million. This alternative would restore and conserve bird nesting and foraging habitat. Restoration would increase the acreage of the island from 27.6 acres to approximately 41.4 acres. Shoreline protection features include a rock dike around the island perimeter and may include breakwaters on the northeast side of the project area outside of the perimeter rock dike. This breakwater would provide calm water for loafing, protect locations of tidal exchange with marsh habitat through low points in the perimeter rock dike, and extend the longevity of the island.
A second alternative, a variation on acreage, habitat types and shoreline features, and a no-action alternative were also analyzed.
Public Comment and Webinar
The public is encouraged to review and comment on the draft plan through September 26 by submitting comments online, by mail, or during the public webinar.
- Online: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/LATIG71
- By mail:
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Gulf Restoration Office
1875 Century Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30345
The Louisiana Trustees will hold a public webinar on September 8, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. CT. We will present the draft plan and take comments submitted during the webinar. Immediately after the conclusion of meeting, we will hold the Louisiana Trustee Implementation Group’s Annual Public Meeting.
- Register for both webinars at: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1617789947761424400
- After registering, participants will receive a confirmation email with instructions for joining the webinar. A GoToWebinar system check is recommended before attending.
Draft Restoration Plan and Fact Sheets
- Louisiana Draft Phase 2 Restoration Plan/Environmental Assessment #7.1: Terrebonne HNC Island Restoration Project (PDF, 80 pages)
- Louisiana Draft Phase 2 Restoration Plan #7.1 Fact Sheet (PDF, 2 pages), Đã dịch sang tiếng việt/In Vietnamese (PDF, 2 pages)
- Louisiana Draft Phase 2 Restoration Plan #7.1 Executive Summary (PDF, 2 pages), Đã dịch sang tiếng việt/In Vietnamese (PDF, 2 pages)
Get future updates delivered directly to your inbox. Subscribe today for Gulf Spill Restoration news and updates.