Alabama Trustees Invite Public Comment on Draft Addendum to Restoration Plan III
The Alabama Trustee Implementation Group has released a Draft Addendum to its Final Restoration Plan III and Environmental Assessment: Provide and Enhance Recreational Opportunities; and Birds, which was finalized in December 2019. The addendum is available for public comment through December 23, 2020.
The restoration plan included a suite of projects under the Provide and Enhance Recreational Opportunities Restoration Type, including two conditionally approved projects:
- Perdido Beach Public Access Coastal Protection
- Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge Recreation Enhancement-Mobile St. Boardwalk
The restoration plan noted that full implementation of these projects was dependent upon the availability of additional funding. Funding may become available in a variety of ways, such as projects coming in under budget, modifications and cancellation of projects, or as in this situation, earning interest from Deepwater Horizon settlement funds.
The Draft Addendum proposes to use $1.6 million of earned interest to increase funding for the Provide and Enhance Recreational Opportunities Restoration Type allowing for the implementation of the two conditionally approved projects. This will provide additional compensation to the public for recreational use injuries caused by the Deepwater Horizon spill.
Draft Addendum to Restoration Plan III
- Draft Addendum to Alabama Trustee Implementation Group Final Restoration Plan III and Environmental Assessment (PDF, 3 pages)
Public Comment Period
The public is encouraged to review and comment on the Draft Addendum through December 23, 2020. Comments can be submitted during the comment period by one of the following methods:
- Online at: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/ALTIGADDENDUM
- By Mail: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, P.O. Box 29649, Atlanta, GA 30345