Louisiana Trustees Propose Changes to Wetlands Center Project
UPDATE - January 21, 2020 2:00 p.m. MT: The Louisiana Trustee Implementation Group is currently experiencing difficulties with the Park Planning Site used to accept public comments online. If these issues continue and you're unable to access the site before the January 22, 11:59 p.m. MT deadline, please submit your comments via email to LATIG@la.gov.
The Louisiana Trustee Implementation Group has released a draft supplemental environmental assessment (PDF, 79 pg) proposing changes to the Wetlands Center Project in the Town of Jean Lafitte. The original project was approved in the July 2018 Final Restoration Plan and Environmental Assessment #4. If approved, the project would be moved to another location adjacent to the town’s library, multipurpose facility, and Lafitte’s Barataria Museum.
We invite you to comment on the draft supplemental environmental assessment through January 22, 2020.
In this supplemental environmental assessment we evaluated four alternatives.
- Alternative A includes the facility in its original location.
- Two new alternatives, B and C, consider the facility in the new location described above.
- Alternative B, the preferred alternative, includes an observation deck.
- Alternative C does not include the observation deck.
- We also evaluated a “No Action” alternative, Alternative D.
Besides finding that our preferred alternative does not cause significant impacts, our analysis also finds that it would provide enhanced recreational use benefits due to the addition of the observation deck.
Public comment can be submitted online or by U.S. Mail:
- Online Comment Portal: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/LATIGRP4SUP
- Mail Address:
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 29649
Atlanta, GA 30345